Frozen





A I have always loved Disney. As a child I visited many times with family members. As an adult I have visited twice before my children and now twice with my children. My husband and I went to Disney World on our honeymoon. I was brought up watching Disney films and although I was never an extremely feminine girl I did enjoy a princess movie. I just never identified with a princess I identified more with Mowgli. As a parent I watch which ever Disney movies my children seem to be interested in when they see a trailer. Most recently we have watched Frozen and Muana. They have never seemed interested in watching the Disney films of my youth so I have never pursued them.

Although my personal children (both boys) are not obsessed with Disney movies and princesses I have seen many little girls who are. Working in the Elementary school setting I have had plenty of opportunities to see little girls who are enthralled with their favorite princesses. Many times when my 7 year old is invited to a birthday party of a female friend he will always know if she is a girl who likes princesses and if so what we should purchase for a gift. 

My memories reflect Christiansen's claims. Even though I wasn't particularly interested in being a princess myself I was still aware of the traits that all princesses possessed. They were beautiful, they had big poofy dresses and fancy shoes, they always ended up with a fantastic life and a prince.

When watching Frozen prior to taking this class I really enjoyed it. I felt liked that there were two princesses who ended up working together to overcome the evil forces. I was very impressed with how regular Anna was. She expressed how she felt, stood up for herself and could get the job done. And while she started the movie wanting nothing, but a prince and a happily ever after, she grew into realizing that she could be more and do more in life.






Comments

  1. Alicia, I also enjoyed Anna's character. It was refreshing to see a princess who was dynamic and acted just as "any other girl would," regardless of her title. As I watched Frozen and did the readings for tonight, I found myself wondering if the boys and young men who have been exposed to Disney in some way also aim or aspire to be like "Prince Charming", or is this something that society places solely on the females?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alicia, I too loved that about Anna. She gained her own independence throughout the movie and it was inspiring to finally see that. Maybe we will start to see movies where the male characters are not so tough and "know-it-all" in the near future. Boys might feel like they have to be the insensitive hero and that's just as important to change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alicia. When Frozen first came out in the theaters, I knew nothing about it and expected a Disney movie, nothing more. When I took my granddaughter to see it, I was very impressed! Imagine the prince being so duplicitous and evil!! And the sisters - one with magical powers and both fairly independent. That was unexpected! My granddaughter was absolutely one of those princess girls. Now that she is getting older, she prefers Harry Potter and Star Wars. I think the Disney Studios like to make money, and if they have influenced society in the meantime, I don't think they care.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why We Banned Legos

My Story